DPW Announces 2017 Projects
Monday, April 24, 2017
ELMIRA - The Chemung County Department of Public Works is pleased to announce its 2017 work program. This year’s program makes use of County forces, contracted labor, and shared services, having a total value of approximately $5,500,000 (excluding the funding for the federally aided or Bridge-NY special projects.)
Work includes bridge and culvert replacements and rehabilitations, drainage projects, general maintenance, oil and stone projects, paving projects, and full depth reclamation projects. Funding comes from a variety of sources, including New York State (Consolidated Highway Improvement Program, PAVE NY, Extreme Weather Recovery (EWR), and Marchiselli Program), the federal government (Federal Highway Administration), and Chemung County.
Mill and Fill road projects remove the top 2-3 inches of asphalt and replace it with a new asphalt wearing course. Mill and Fill roads have 10 years added to their life with routine maintenance.
Asphalt Overlay projects add a new wearing surface to the road, providing improved vehicular traction, safety, and a smoother ride, while extending the life of the roadway up to 7 years.
Full Depth Reclamation (FDR) road projects involve a process of grinding and reclaiming the old road surface, injecting an asphalt emulsion and recompacting it in place to serve as a new sub-base. The roads are then overlaid with hot-mix asphalt or layers of oil and stone, depending on the traffic volumes. This process adds 12-15 years of life with routine maintenance.
Surface treatments such as oil and stone rejuvenate the roadway with new asphalt emulsion and a layer of stone, sealing the surface against water intrusion, and adding some structural life to the road. Oil and stone treatments add 4-7 years of life to the roadway. Slurry Seal roads are first repaired in failure areas, and then coated with a slurry seal, a product made up of asphalt emulsion, Portland cement, fly-ash, and small aggregate. Slurry Seal serves to seal the roadway against water intrusion and extends the life by 3-4 years. Micro-paving is a latex-modified overlay composed of selected mineral aggregates, latex-modified asphalt emulsions, mineral fillers, set control additives and water. Micro-paving provides additional skid-resistance and seals the roadway against water intrusion, providing an additional 4-5 years of life.
Work is already underway at several locations. Chemung County’s Department of Public Works also plans to complete patching and repairs of other roadways throughout the County. Our planned work is subject to change based on weather, equipment, and funding. We will also review budgets and conditions during the construction season to determine if extra work is feasible. The EWR funds may be able to help with additional projects.
As always, please drive carefully through work zones, and allow extra time to reach your destination.
Please call the DPW at (607) 739-3896 with any questions.
2017 Chemung County DPW Work Program
Bridge and Culvert Capital Improvements Program
1. 2269090 – Pine Hills Drive (Southport) – Project to begin mid Summer
2. 3330850 – CR01 Church Street – (Breesport) – Project underway
3. 3331750 – Jenkins Road Bridge (N) (Town of Elmira) – Bridge Replacement - Completed and turned over to Town for paving and future maintenance.
4. 3357800 – Pine Valley Road (Catlin) – Bridge Replacement - Project to begin late summer
Surface Treatments (Oil and Stone, Slurry Seal, Crack Seal, or Micropaving)
1. CR06a – Millport Hill Road – SR14 to End (O&S) – Project to begin early to mid Summer
2. CR12 – Johnson Hollow Road – SR14 to Schuyler County Line (O&S) - Early to mid Summer
3. CR15 – E. Sullivanville Road – SR13 to Schuyler County Line (O&S) - Early to mid Summer
4. CR16 – Jackson Creek Road – Sandbank Road to End (O&S) - Early to mid Summer
5. CR33 – West Hill Road – Harris Hill Road to City of Elmira (SS) - Early to mid Summer
6. CR35 – Chambers Road – Arnot Mall to Colonial Drive (Crack Seal) - Late Spring
7. CR35 – Chambers Road – SR414 to Murphy Hill Road (O&S) - Early to mid Summer
8. CR41 – Federal Road – CR01 to CR04 (O&S) - Early to mid Summer
9. CR69 – Pennsylvania Avenue – CR79 to City of Elmira (MP) - Project top begin late Spring
10. CR76 – Park Station Road – CR38 to Austin Hill Road (O&S) - Early to mid Summer
Highway Paving and Resurfacing Program (Full Depth Reclamation, Hot Mix, Mill & Fill)
These projects will occur during the spring and summer.
1. CR55 – Harris Hill Road – CR64 to CR33 (FDR + Hot Mix Asphalt Surfacing)
2. CR38 – Laurel Hill Road – SR223 to Park Station Drive (FDR + Hot Mix Asphalt Surfacing)
3. CR16 – Jackson Creek Road – SR223 to Sand Bank Road (FDR + O&S)
4. CR74 – Colonial Drive – Chambers Road to Sing Sing Road (M/F)
5. CR16 – Jackson Creek Road – Halloran to End of County Road (FDR + O&S)
1. CR01 – Church Street – Breesport – Project Underway
2. CR55 – Harris Hill Road – CR64 to CR33 – Project to begin early Summer
1. CR08 Bridge Federal Aid Project (Lowman Crossover Superstructure) – DESIGN ONLY in 2017
2. HOST Connector Road Federal Aid Project – DESIGN ONLY in 2017/2018
3. CR61 Coleman Avenue Federal Aid Project – DESIGN ONLY in 2017/2018
4. CR35 Bridge Replacement - Bridge-NY Project (south of Tompkins Corners) – DESIGN ONLY in 2017
5. CR35 Bridge Replacement - Bridge-NY Project (north of Tompkins Corners) – DESIGN ONLY in 2017